We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

File is too large for the destination file system (External HD)

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hiya, i have a 1TB external Hard drive & i am about to format this pc, ive got 200 gig of files which i need to keep and transfer to my External which is formatted in FAT32 so when i try to transfer a file bigger then 4 gig i get the old message "File is too large for the destination file system" now ive got 300 gig of files already on the External drive and i cant move them off it, ive heard there is a way to convert the external from FAT32 to NTFS without deleting ANY files, does anyone know how this is done please? im running on Windows 7 (64) Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This might help http://arungeek.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-convert-fat32-to-ntfs-without.html but I would be inclined to have made a backup of the files that are on the ext drive first 'just in case'.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Take a look...HERE

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

lotvic hi many thanks! whats concerning me is the reply to the suggestion on that link uve posted look below & see :-( Thanks so much

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic

That guy obviously didn't follow the golden rule and 'Back Up' first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Please tell me that you have copies of these files somewhere else too. One place isn't sufficient.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ouch, you're right, didn't work for someone and they lost all their data :(

If it was me, I would buy another spare HDD (internal or ext) so that I had room to move data to and to serve as another backup of files.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 thanks for your link! im just getting it started but have a small issue, When i am prompted on the Command Prompt to "Enter current volume label for drive" my External is drive F: so what is it i put in command prompt? see pic pls

SEE PIC HERE

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

woolwell no! ive got two 1tb drives and they are both almost full :-(

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you have files that you do not want to lose then before going any further I would do as lotvic says buy another drive or keep on pc. You run the risk of losing them.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Do not do anything till you have made back ups!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes