We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restore System Fonts in Win-7 ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi,

Yesterday I was looking how to add an interrobang to my MS-Word fonts. This involved pressing 'alt' & some number-pad numbers. Upon boot-up today, I find that my System font seems to be in Wingdings.

How do I re set my system font to either default, or Times New Roman ?

Please bear in mind that I can't read anything on screen, as it's all in - what I assume is - Wingdings.

I havn't checked Safe Mode yet.

Whilst I'd prefer to just alter the System Font settings, Will a normal Restore do this ?

I have a back-up in place, tho' never used it before to actually restore anything,,,,, and will that also have the same problem ? If not, how do I do a full restore ?

cheers all.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

UPDATE:

I was calling my problem SYSTEM default Fonts. I now think that I meant WINDOWS default Fonts. I assume these are different things,,,, or are they ?

I managed to get onto e-bay and 99.9% of that was alright, apart from the Buttons (delete / relist etc) which were in wingdings.

I did a search on these pages and saw that for a similar problem, someone suggested trying: run > rstrui.exe. I tried this and it took me to the Restore page. Although I couldn't read the message/s, I did manage to restore to 23rd Sept, which looked like it was the only restore point that I had.

I am trying to see a list of Restore Points like I used to see in XP, but – stupidly – I can’t find the list. I have created one today, to give me something to look for. Surely I have more Restore Points Where is this list please ?

*Incidentally, my Son runs Vista and also doesn’t have any Restore Points. When an IT guy was looking at something else, he asked him to create a point also, but it seems like it doesn’t take. Is it likely that we both have our settings wrong ?*

Whilst my system ‘seems’ back to normal, I’d still like to know how to alter System/Windows default fonts please.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Restore for Win 7 - enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Here's how to Create a Restore Point in detail - enter link description here

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks N61,

When following the links, I got to a point in System Properties, where it says that System Protection is OFF. If I’m reading it right, this needs to be ON, to enable it to create restore points ?

When I tried to turn it ON, I get a message saying “Using System Protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal”. I was a bit worried about this until I saw that it referred to my ‘E’ drive, which is the back-up drive. I went back to System Properties & highlighted ‘C’ drive, & turned the protection to ON.

I reckon this will now automatically create Restore points. I have manually made a Point also, & they both now appear in the list.

If any of this sounds wrong, please feel free to let me know.

I hope it will also help my Sons Vista OS too.

Thanks again.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

"I reckon this will now automatically create Restore points. I have manually made a Point also, & they both now appear in the list."

Yes that's correct - back on the right track!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund