We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Email Reply Account

Seadog

Likes # 0

I have several email accounts in MS Outlook for our family, i.e. abc1@...., abc2@...., abc3@.... and so on.

I have Outlook set up to receive all emails into the one PC.

For a while now any replies to any email are being sent from my wifes account even though the original email was addressed to me or my son.

For example, if someone sends a message to me at abc1@.... and I click on reply, the message will not be sent from my account but will be sent from abc2@....

I know I can change this by simply clicking on the 'account' button to the left of the address/subject but it's a pain and I keep forgetting. It never used to be like this but I don't know what I've done to change it.

Is there a setting I can change to change the default 'reply from' account?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"For a while now any replies to any email are being sent from my wifes account even though the original email was addressed to me or my son."

I'm puzzled how this has started happening of its own accord. Anyhow, the first place to check is in the properties section for each mail account in Outlook. Start with the abc1@ account and make sure the in the "E-mail Address" section it's showing abc1@. Do the same for all the other mail accounts.

What should then happen is that the e-mail address used in the reply is the same as the original e-mail and you should no longer need to specify it manually.

If that doesn't work then it'll help if you specify the version of MS Outlook you're running.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

I've checked those settings Secret-Squirrel, all are ok.

I am using Outlook 2007.

Could it possibly be something at the Virgin mail server? They did change something a while back, and thinking about it, it was round about then that this started to happen.

The email accounts are all on one so-called master account or post box address, abc1@.... is the master email address and abc2@.... and so on are sub accounts at the same post box address.

I haven't changed any settings in Outlook though and originally if you replied to any email it went from the account the email was sent to.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Could it possibly be something at the Virgin mail server?"

No.

Are you using profiles in Outlook? If you're not, Outlook will use the default email address, regardless of which person sends the mail. That's what is happening, and it leads me to think that you aren't using profiles.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

FE - I'm sorry to disagree but I use Outlook 2007 and what you state is correct for sending a new e-mail and it will go from the default account unless another is selected. However if using a reply then it should automatically reply using the account in which it arrived.

This could be an outgoing account setting with Virgin. I did have a Freeserve e-mail address and the only way I could get it to send from Virgin was using a Virgin e-mail address.

If the accounts are abc etc and all use the same after the @ eg virginmedia.net then you should look at the account settings - more settings and check the address on the outgoing server tab.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite