We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Artec Scanner Dead

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me if my aged Artec Scanner is kaput, or if there's another problem? Wouldn't work tonight despite reinstalling the drivers. I'm getting this message..."USB not recognised, one of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it". Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. does it power on?

2. when you press the button does it light and scan bar move?

if yes to above then physically its probably OK

try

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat...opened it and very large page two downloads there, top one "Update Drivers"...didn't think that was it....very bottom of page another, I downloaded that and then got a rectangular box ???. Are you saying it's a driver problem and not a broken scanner?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Ghost devices in device manager causing conflicts USBdeview will sort that

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok thanks pal, but which one do I download "Update Drivers" top of page or the bottom one which I clicked on and just opened in a box with 3 options inside?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok Fruitbat, downloaded and ran it...no joy. When I reinstall drivers I get this....."An installed support file cannot be installed". Then when I replug the USB cord back in I get...."One of the USB devices connected to the computer has malfunctioned, and Windows doesn't recognise it, if it continues to malfunction replace the device". Am I correct in thinking that refers to a broken scanner?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

An installed support file cannot be installed

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

Log file or database corruption exists in the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder.

Cryptographic Services is set to disabled.

Other Windows files are corrupted or missing.

The timestamp signature or certificate could not be verified or is malformed.

The hidden attribute is set for the %Windir% folder or one of its subfolders.

The Unsigned non-driver installation behavior Group Policy setting (Windows 2000 only) is set to Do not allow installation or Warn but allow installation, or the Policy binary value is not set to 0 in the following registry key:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing

The Enable trusted publisher lockdown Group Policy setting is turned on, and you do not have the appropriate certificate in your Trusted Publishers certificate store. This Group Policy setting is located under User Configuration, under Windows Settings, under Internet Explorer Maintenance, under Security, under Authenticode Settings in the Group Policy MMC snap-in.

The software distribution folder is corrupted.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Phew....out of my comfort zone I'm afraid. However, could it simply be that the scanner's bitten the proverbial dust?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ps, if it's not the scanner, could a system restore perhaps help?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

PPS, Scanner bar doesn't move when I press the button...nothing responds.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Then its looking like the scanner is dead.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous