We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wired Network - two PCs on one router connection???

Seadog

Likes # 0

A friend has a single rj45 socket wired from a network, is there a way he could take two network connections from this one cable?

Basically what he wants is two sockets hardwired to the one cable, in order to use a laptop in either of two rooms, is this possible? Only one laptop would ever be connected at any one time, i.e. only one socket in use at any one time.

He did try to connect another socket by simply connecting (piggybacking) the wires from this second socket to the back of the first socket. The extension socket then worked perfectly but the original socket didn't, - possibly something to do with the termination of the cat5 cable?

I have seen network splitters and network economisers for sale, would something like this do to have two sockets on one cable?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Conventionally, routers have four RJ45 LAN ports although there are some models with only one. To provide additional LAN ports where only one port is available, or at the end of a single ethernet cable run, you need to connect a Network Switch.

This provides the additional ports with the router still allocating IP addresses by DHCP to any connected devices.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Thanks for that mgmcc

I thought it might have to be something like a switch or a hub that was needed.

The router the single network cable comes from does have four connections but they are all in use. (and a long way away)

Just seems a shame as he only wants to use one connection at a time - he only has one laptop so can only connect to one at a time!!

Mind you, there's a cheap switch on Amazon for only £6.99.................

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If there's only ever going to be one Laptop connected, why does he need two RJ45 ports? As it will be necessary to run a cable to the second room anyway, all he needs is an RJ45 Coupler to connect the additional ethernet cable going into the second room.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

I understand that, but it means plugging and unplugging connections - we are talking ease of use here! Ha Ha

Really it is just so that he only has to plug the laptop in wherever (yeah, ok either of two rooms!) he is.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Why not set up wireless then the laptops can be used anywhere in the house with out wires trailing if he is going to get a router this would be the easiest option.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

There is no need for wireless Strawballs, it is just that my mate would like to occasionally use his laptop in another room, on the existing wired network. I think the easiest way is just to run an extension cable and plug it into the first socket whenever he needs it.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

In my opinion,the easiest way is wireless,any good reason why not?

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Why go to the expense of buying a router and usb wireless dongle? he has the cabling/plugs already!

Also, there's no spare power socket near the first rj45 socket so he'd have to sort out an adapter for that as well.

Think he's going to just plug the second cable into the first socket now anyway, just means he has to remember to plug it in when he goes to the other room.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite