We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless streaming problem

copey12

Likes # 0

I have a slightly strange problem with my wireless broadband connection (when my laptop is connected to my router by a cable there are no issues at all, everything is perfect). When wirelessly connected, I am unable to play streaming media on BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc. All other web pages seem to load ok and at a decent speed (and my laptop remains wirelessly connected at all times with full reception according to the icon in the notification area of the windows task bar), but streaming media will almost always not load (very occasionally it will play).

Using the iPlayer’s diagnostics page connection speed test returned the following results: Download Speed: 14535 kbps Streaming Speed (1) : 0 kbps Streaming Speed (2) : 0 kbps Streaming Speed (3) : 0 kbps

Running the same test whilst connected with a cable returns these results: Download Speed: 14505 kbps Streaming Speed (1) : 10637 kbps Streaming Speed (2) : 14593 kbps Streaming Speed (3) : 14925 kbps

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it?

My broadband provider is Orange, Dell studio laptop with Windows 7.

Thanks

Like this post
Joss Armitage

Likes # 0

Yes! I have exactly the same problem. On my Windows 7, 64-bit machine the issue is exactly as you describe. My broadband provider is also Orange.

I have a Windows Vista 32-bit machine and that works fine. On my 64-bit machine I have tried disabling my anti-virus (Avira), reinstalling all drivers, changing encryption settings on the router (as suggested by Orange) and also the wireless channel (again suggested by Orange). None of this works at all and I can't stream most media. Oddly, if I go to Soundcloud, it works fine wirelessly. It is very, very odd.

I get the same style results on the iPlayer diagnostics page. Connected via Ethernet cable I am also okay. Does anyone have any ideas at all? I am now going to try this machine on other wireless networks and see what happens.

Like this post
victy23

Likes # 0

for a look ,I have the same problem

Like this post
Joss Armitage

Likes # 0

Try this as it just seems to have worked for me: go to network and sharing, manage wireless networks, right click on your network and then click on properties. Click on security and then change from AES to TKIP encryption. So far it's done the trick.

Like this post
copey12

Likes # 0

Yes I solved this a while back, it IS to do with security encryption type, so you need to play with those settings (in my case it was on my routers settings page). I'm now using WEP and all is fine.

Like this post
copey12

Likes # 0

Sorry, just read the whole of Joss' first post again. In my case it was the security encryption on the router page, obviously joss needed to go one step further and change another setting. This may be to do with running 64 bit? I'm only running 32 bit so that appears to be the only difference.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014