We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lacie External HD vanished without trace...

soulboy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

My Lacie 500GB external drive has vanished, again! This happened before, but as the drive still showed up in windows I managed to enable it somehow (I can't remember how!) The drive has now disappeared again, it still lights up and disk 'whirrs' inside, but the thing is completely 'invisible' to Windows(XP SP3)this time. Have glanced over a couple of threads in PC Advisor, maybe my powert supply is faulty? Help would be much appreciated...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAve a look in disk management can you see it there?

Right click My computer - Manage - Storage - Disk Management

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

No. Last time I couldn't gain access to the drive I could see it there, but this time it's completely invisible. I have recently re-installed windows.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

soulboy

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? This has sometimes worked for me in the past.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try plugging into a different USB port

also check in device manager that you have an enhanced driver under USB heading

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Thanks fruitbat, you are a star! It was somethi8ng really obvious that I would not have checked without your advice... the boloody thing wasn't plugged in, I must have knocked it out whilst re-routing some hi-fi stuff. Thanks mate! I'm so gormless!

Peace

SB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added