We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a laptop to a desktop.

isititis
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,I have an up-graded pc from XP Home to Win 7 Home Premium. It has no wireless adaptor installed, according to the BT Broadband Desktop Help, so I can't go wireless. I'm happy with being wired, at this stage.

A family member has bought a Win 7 Home Pemium laptop and wants to go wireless connecting to my pc. I connect to the internet using a BT Hub 2.0 using an Ethernet cable, but am not sure how to proceed to connect the laptop wirelessly to my pc. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you mean that the family member wants to access the internet, e-mail, etc wirelessly or actually access data on your pc? These are different requirements.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

The laptop should have its own Wireless capability. It should be a simple process using the Laptops wireless connection wizard. The Code on the back of the BT HomeHub will need to be used on the laptop to make the wireless connection.

Like this post  
isititis

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Thanks for your quick reply. The lappy will be connecting to the internet. Nontek Thank you for your reply. The lappy is still in it's box, so I have not yet viewed any details/info. There are 2 numbers on the back of the Hub, so the connection procedure will probably show once connected to a power supply. Thanks anyway.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1.If you're using a laptop with built-in wireless, turn wireless on by either using the wireless switch (if your computer has one) or activating wireless from within your wireless software. Your wireless adapter must be 802.11b, g or n compliant.

1. Read your Hub's SSID and wireless key from the label on the back of the Hub or from the wireless settings card that came in your Hub's box.

2. For windows 7 follow the instructions here or video

3. Open your web browser - you should now be on the Internet. If you can't connect to the Internet, please restart your computer and try these steps again - or follow any on-screen troubleshooting instructions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...