We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sharing IDE cables & effects on the data transfer rate

Bargee

Likes # 0

Hiya,

I am upgrading my MB with one that only has a single IDE socket. Not wanting to chuck my HDD & DVD writer, both IDE, obviously I will need to share a single IDE cable.

When I purchased the MB from Maplin, I was told that to share a HDD & optical drive (DVD) on the same cable will result in a drop in data transfer performance, making everything slow down to the slowest drive, probably my DVD writer. Naturally they wanted to sell me a new SATA HDD, but I don't want the hassle of transfering everything onto a new HDD, I'd rather buy one of their IDE/SATA adapters.

Can anyone confirm this? I can understand a drop in transfer rate if I'm writing to DVD, but I can't see how it would otherwise affect the HDD. Does the HDD performance still drop even though I might not be transfering data from it to the DVD writer?.

Cheers.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The speed will set to the master and if the slave is slower then it will not impede the master device.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes it true make sure the HDD is set as master at the end of the cable and DVD drive as slave in the centre for best results (seems to work better than cable select).

but I don't want the hassle of transfering everything onto a new HDD

New SATA drives are bigger, faster and cheaper

Your windows installation on your old drive may not boot if its trying to use drivers from the old board instead of the new. you may have to do a repair install from the windows CD (XP) DVD (vista)

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Thanks guys,all that makes eminent sense, especially NOT using cable select.

Fruitbat, me 'ol mucker, in any other circumstances, I'd say a new SATA makes shedloads more sense than keeping my old IDE HDD. BUT, as the PC is for internet use only, I don't see any real advantage in swapping everything over to a new SATA drive. All the upgrade is for is to speed up browsing, downloads, etc.

Thanks fellas.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

If you want some more detailed reading, have a Google for 'ide independent device timing'

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the help guys.

Problem solved, got a new SATA DVD rewriter from DABs for circa £16 seeing as I had to get a new PSU because the new MB has a 24pin socket instead of 20pin, so while I was at it ....

BTW Fruitbat, I've not experienced boot problems in this situation before as I've booted in "safe mode" for driver installation in the past. Mind you, thats not to say it can't happen & knowing me, it easily could! :-)

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Yep fruitbat, it did! Simpler to re-install, so new SATA HDD on its way. :-)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Seeing as it looks like you are more or less rebuilding the whole system, it's a good opportunity for a clean re-install.

Should you wish to clone the old system in it's entirety instead, to the new HDD, Easeus Todo will do that.

If you make a Disk/Partition Image, using Easeus, before a clean install, you don't have to worry about any files and folders being forgotten, since you can just Mount the image later and copy them to your new drive. (applications will still need reinstalling)

Don't forget to put your Anti-virus on first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made