We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cropping image to specific size

sheila.weston
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any way in which I can crop an image to a specific size? I have an image in portrait orientation and want to extract the top half of the photo so that it is exactly 1024 x 768. OK I could use trial and error, but would prefer being able to set the dimensions of the crop.

Many thanks, as always.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I have Photoshop Elements 8.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Do you have Microsoft Office? If so, you can do exactly that in Picture Manager.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you crop a Image you cannot set dimensions, as it will just crop the outside edge all way round, you have to use the crop tool and drag it on the picture to what you want to remove, the you can size the picture after to what you want before saving it

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Crop out the exact bit you want then choose resize image and tick resample you can then set the pixels to the required figure however you will need to make sure you have unticked the constrain proportions otherwise one of them will be wrong. Note your image may well be distorted if its not acceptabe then you have a bit of work to do . May I ask why it needs to be this specific resolution

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

My posted reply to onthelimit1 didn't get printed, for some reason. Yes, I have m/s Picture Manager, although I have never used it. I tried it quickly before I went out and it seemed to be just what I wanted, with the crop size showing as I select it. Perfect! I'll mark this as resolved when I have tried it properly tomorrow. I may use it along with the rezize tool in PSE.

Many thanks to all.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I have just come back to this problem. I need passport size photo of approx 3cm x 4cm for an identity badge. I want to use one which I have had taken at home. I have cropped the picture to approx the right size. Picture Manager seems to be working in pixels, though ie it is 1315 x 1518px. I am using 4 x 6 photo paper and am trying to print on just a corner of it. I feel that there should be a way to reduce/increase the resolution to get the right size??

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

I haven't used Photoshop since V4, but it must have a Canvas Size or Paper Size option. Crop your photo to approx. size, as you have done. Then use Canvas Size to trim to final the size. You should be able to choose to chop a bit off the top or the bottom or both, same with the sides, or crop an equal amount all round.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Or you may be able to use your printer Options to resize - after you click Print, take a look around the dialogue box, see what it allows you to do.

Or try Print Layout if that's available in Elements.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Or create a New Document of the size you want then cut and paste your photo into it and drag the corners to resize it to fit.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Sheila have alok at this thread its a similar project I advised using irfan view which is free o which the person used and got it sorted youll need to look at my replies in the thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4072887/reducing-photo/

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes