We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hijacked Hotmail

CyprusJohn

Likes # 0

A few days ago some unmentionable git sent an e-mail to all of my contacts, using my address. They have sent 3 now and the first 2 were seen in my sent folder as individualy addressed but the 3rd was not. I have a clear result from my anti-virus and anti malware programmes and I am having difficulty understanding what went on. Q1:What went on, how did the malware get past Hotmail's vaunted screens? Q2:What should I do now to prevent a recurrence? Q3:Is there likely to be a long term effect, ie has my contacts list been published and should I close my account? I have seen nothing like it since except my contacts being annoyed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As emails were in your 'sent' folder you must have had account hacked.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2010/07/07/hotmail-hacked-take-these-steps.aspx

Change your password (make sure that the email address that in your details is the correct one for them to send the reset info to, or you won't be able to reset, I think you have to have it sent to a different email address) and devise a 'secret word' to add to your email subject header so that your contacts will know if an email is from you or from unmentionable git or a spammer. Their email addresses are prob now on a spammers list (who will spoof your email address so that emails appear to have come from your account - but will not appear in your sent folder as they are not actually sent from your account).

Another option is you could use a different email address for a while.

These things happen, don't let it get to you.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here is a good guide with screenshots of what to do Click Here

Like this post
CyprusJohn

Likes # 0

Thanks, Lotvic, The idea of a first word in the title sounds the best bet. I have just changed the password.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'