We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ink Cartridge Re-setters

buckeye

Likes # 0

I have an Epson SX525WD printer (a Xmas gift) and it costs a fortune in ink to run. My son-in-law suggested buying a Cartridge re-setter which resets the chip, and refill the cartridges yourself.As the printer is still under warranty and i have just spent almost £60 in new cartridges i won't be making any moves until 2012..if at all.So what do these re-setters do..and..are they a good investment or not? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A chip re-setter is basically a tool that sets the chip on the cartridge and fools the printer in thinking that the refilled cartridge is a new one compatible to the machine. Some times they work and some times they may not.

For some unknown reason, re-setters do not seem to be as available as they once were. A year or so ago, I bought a few from Currys who were having a clear-out of these devices, selling them a very low prices.

Have you had a look at same type compatibles for the printer or even a CISS unit (if available), possibly via a search on eBay. A CISS unit will save quite a lot of money, and give a far better time saving result.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Having used Epsons for many years, I have tried all methods to save costs. Spud has defined the job a resetter does, however I always found refilling cartridges a messy job, and resetting the chip could cause more problems than it solved. The more pins the chip has the more correct alignment is need and incorrect alignment could make the chip unusable again.

CISS are available however they make a bigger footprint as the ink tanks are outside the printer .with a thin ribbon running into the printer. Refilling is easy, but watch the types of ink if you go for this option. Pigments can settle and cause blockages. I always go for dye based inks, I have use a CISS on my 240 for many years, without any problems. The cost is lower than a full set of Epson cartridges, they normally come with many times more ink than the original cartridges. Fitting was always simple. Compatibles are easily obtained both the cost and reliability can change so its a matter of looking and choosing

Like this post
buckeye

Likes # 0

I have looked at CISS and it looks good in theory and the cost is about £60,and the cost includes the ink too. I have searched for compatible cartridges but can't seem to find any..obviously looking in the wrong places. Many thanks to spuds and sharpamat cheers guys.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Found these compatables on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-T1291-T1294-T1295-INK-CARTRIDGE-EPSON-STYLUS-SX420W-SX425W-SX525WD-SX-/260853118377?pt=UKCamerasPhotoPrintingPrinterInkCatridgesJN&hash=item3cbc0eb5a9

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As a further suggestion, you could use a 'refillable ink cartridge' kit. Similar to a CISS but you fill the special replacement cartridges with a syringe. The special cartridges are far less messy and less trouble that trying to refill a standard cartridge. There are a number on eBay, with various prices etc. Try eBay number 270820909937 for a photo-shot of the device mentioned.

Like this post
trekvet

Likes # 0

My Epson S21 used to say the cartridge was empty when it wasn't, as it seemed to be counting and saving to disk (?) the sheets of paper for each cartridge, e.g. new cartridge = 50 sheets paper. Got round that by switching PC off with power socket; now ink levels show FULL (when they are not), and I carry on printing until the colour runs out then replace the, now, dry cartridge.

Mike.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made