We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIOS problems

mercfan

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Aspire Z5610. It runs Win7 Professional. My anti virus is GData, which advised me that there is Malware which should be addressed by using their boot disc. I followed instructions, interrupting boot up to change boot disc to DVD device. Since doing this, the machine ignores what I think I did and boots still from hard disc, but when I go back to BIOS screen to check things, my keyboard does not seem to be recognised in that I press the arrow keys to no avail. How do I get back to original state??

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure how you set it in the Bios but on an old dell you had to click on which device to start up with and the press U on the keyboard to get it to go Up or it was press D for it to go down.

Obviously getting it to the top of the list meant it would start with that.

Then you had to press save and exit.

Like this post
mercfan

Likes # 0

I am told by the instructions shown at bottom of screen to use 'up' and 'down' arrows to get where I want to be, then use a Function key to save results. This I did, and I thought , correctly, but I must be mistaken.

Like this post
mercfan

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think the up down buttons were only to get you to where you wanted to go.

I think it shows you at start up which device it is starting from,if it does not say DVD or CD it must be starting from the original start up so it has not changed.

Like I said I know not a lot about how to do this.Just how I had to do it with an older Dell computer.

No doubt someone will inform you of the correct way to do it.

Did they give a reason why you had to use their boot disc.

have you tried running Malwarebytes.

Just press the download now button and it should give you the full version for 2 weeks then reverts to the free version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if a system restore would get you back to the original way it was running.

Or start in safe mode if you can and press last good configuration. Or better still system repair in safe mode.

Like this post
mercfan

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman, many thanks for the replies. I use Malwarebytes, good program. GData advised malware in some part of system, I can't remember and recommended using their Boot Disc. I had run Malwarebytes only yesterday, so reckoned I would go with the suggestion. I suspect finger trouble somewhere from me, but need to get back to original BIOS settings

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This may help: Reset BIOS

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...