We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New External HDD - which one?

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a relatively new desktop computer. It runs with W7 Home premium 64Bit. I would like to add an external hard drive for backup purposes. My current hdd is 500Gb.

Can you please recommend an external hard drive to purchase and use? Will I have to format it? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you want/need capacity,preformatted, plug & play simplicity then this would be a good buy enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Also - comes with a 2 yr warranty and read the reviews about it.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria 61 - just been reading the reviews and it seems excellent. Coming very close to placing an order.

When I plug it in and use Windows backup, will it do a mirror image of my hard drive and thus my operating system too. I am just getting my head around W7 so am not quite sure.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Simply plug it in to a USB and use Windows Backup - select Create a System Image - on a Hard Disk

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks Northumbria 61

You have answered all my queries

Like this post  
Border View

Likes # 0

Just an update. I bought the external hard drive mentioned above from E-buyer. Bonus was as a returning customer they gave me free next day delivery.

Have just completed a system image back up and created a repair disc using Windows 7. Painless. Thank you for your help northumbria61

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'