We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strangr behaviour...please help!

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

Some of this I have posted in another post "Screen going darker" but there are a few more problems since so I thought I'd create a new post. Firstly, I have a Sony Vaio 9 months old, win 7, intel pentium, 4 gig ram. I installed a new hard drive (keeping the old one for archived stuff) last week, and used my original Win 7 disk. Therefore its a slightly different setup in that I dont have Vaio control centre etc. Also 2 days ago I installed a Samsung Laser mono printer copier. Now I notice the following:

1 The screen suddenly went darker. When installing printer I had used it on battery power. So taking advice from the answer in my other post I looked up power options. I changed it from Balanced to Power saver (even though I was now on battery)and that did the trick. Tonight I changed it back to balanced and the screen remains bright (for now anyway). The only thing is the FN+F5/F6 doesnt work to increase or decrease the brightness.

2 The mouse wont work now. Only r clicking or scrolling the wheel will do anything, but I cant move the cursor with the mouse. Its a new-ish Kensington wired laptop mouse. I do notice the bulb underneath is not lighting, should it be? Didnt get to try it in another laptop yet, I will tomorrow.

3 When I shut down or restart now, there is a very quick flash of the desktop screen then it shuts down. There is definitely a message written on the screen but I cant see it, it goes so quickly. Also I cant stop the screen there to read it. It was never there before to the best of my knowledge.

4 Also yesterday for no apparent reason the computer warned me that it was closing down!

5 I use Smarter Mail; when I go to reply to a message using Firefox, there is now big block of code, where there never used to be. I wrote to Smarter forum and it was suggested that the browser may have a worm or virus. I tried it in Chrome and it worked perfectly.

I ran Windows Live Essentials and it found nothing. Strange behaviour all in a couple of days, no? Maybe unrelated incidents, I dont know. Hope someone can help!

many thanks and sorry for the long post

h

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014