We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Running Hot / Windows mail files

Joe G

Likes # 0

My Toshiba laptop seems to be running very hot - any one know what may be the cause - concerned it is going to die soon. Also where can I find my Windows mail messages and contacts so I can transfer them to another machine in case worst happens?

Thanks for any help

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To back up your Windows Mail messages and Contacts - enter link description here Overheating could be due to blocked fan (ie dust.) assuming fan is running. Carefully clean out vent either blowing or with soft brush.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks for that - much appreciated

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It's the Heat Sink that gets blocked. And you need to Part Dismantle the Laptop to clear it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Do not use on Soft Furnishings or Carpet as these are worst things for blocking the Laptop along with Cigarette Smoke

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

That sounds complicated! Does it require much dismantling - if so I would probably take it to a repairer

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you never took a Laptop apart, I suggest you leave it to some one who as. Its not a Easy Job all the screws are different lengths and sizes, and need to go back in the correct holes screen may need removing, depending on the Laptop strip Down. HeatSink most likely top left corner of laptop, air exit should tell you. air goes in at the bottom and comes out side edge or back edge

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks - may be worth an expert looking at it - any idea how much it would cost - balancing up the cost of getting a new one against repairs as it also needs a new battery :-(

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For mail backup have a look here

Will also backup your calender.

As for the laptop, search around for a new one, of similar price you paid for the one you have, and I'm sure you'll have a lappy with better specification.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks - wondering if the cost of replacement (about £300) would be similar to fixing? Its a 17" Toshiba so shame to consign to bin if not ncessary.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Contact Toshiba from here, Toshiba-Europe and get a quote for repair.

If quote excessive then backup your data as soon as you can and carry on using your laptop. Sometimes just blowing through the vents, using something like a cocktail stick to gently stop the CPU fan from spinning, can dislodge some dust and help cooling. Something to try anyway. Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?