We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wifi

STAAKER 2000 ©

Likes # 0

Sometimes my laptop cant get the signal from my wifi (which is in the next room)ive had the same wifi setup for 7 years and was wondering if there is a time i will need to replace it , what is the time the system should last. This seems to be happening more often now, im running windows Vista on a 5 year old machine. I do always eventually get to log in tho as i say its happening more and more and taking longer to catch the signal.

Thanks

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

If internet speeds are fine whilst you computer is directly connected to the modem or router, then it probably does need replacing. Have you tried connecting with other devices to make sure?

Like this post
STAAKER 2000 ©

Likes # 0

No the speed of my internet is much slower now, i havent tried connecting to other devices as yet but my speed the pages load is away down to what it was a couple of years ago.

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Have you tried using an ethernet cable or bypassing the router i mean

Like this post
STAAKER 2000 ©

Likes # 0

Yes tried using the ethernet and it it doesnt connect at all using that so i gave that up in the end and now just prsever and eventually logon

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

My initial guess then would be the router, although my desktop used to have similar problems with connecting by wifi and ethernet. All I can suggest without wasting your money is to try and determine which end the problem is on by connecting to a different wifi from the computer or to your internet using another device.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Same router for 7 years? Then you are doing well in my experience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer