We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer won't boot from any device

wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi, I recently attempted to install Windows 98 on my computer, but after formatting my second hard drive for the installation, it wouldn't format it without a floppy disk, which I don't have. So I quit the installation and tried to install Ubuntu and Windows xp, but both failed the installation. On my last attempt to install XP, the computer restarted to run the setup, but after the bios screen, nothing happened. I have tried booting both Hard Disks and from the DVD drive again but all I get is a black screen and now the one hard drive isn't showing as an option.

Is my motherboard done for or is there a way to revive my computer.

Thanks, Jake

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Hi Jake Can you get into the bios setup screen to see whether the motherboard sees your drives?? Chipeater

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi, yes, the computer sees the dvd drive and the one hard drive (that I didn't attempt to install xp on)

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Hi When you try to install XP does it take you into the setup screen or does nothing happen?

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

It finnished copying setup files and restarted the computer to begin installation, but since then all I get is a black screen after the bios, whether I leave the computer to boot on its own or if I select a device to boot from.

Also, if it helps, it doesn't seem to crash as it will turn off with just a press of a power button, instead of having to hold it down

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Did you get an option to format the disk? if not then try re-installing XP after formatting the disk with the option in the setup screen.

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Yes, the disk formatted then extracted the setup files. Now i can't even boot any dvd to re-format or delete the partition, i just get the black screen after I choose to boot the dvd

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Is it a sata drive or a pata drive?

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for the link, i found a similar thread (though i think it was just a copy and paste of this) and the problem is, I cant even boot the xp cd to fix any of these problems. The HDD that is missing is SATA and the one that's still present is IDE

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

XP does need 3rd party drivers for sata

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED