We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Publisher

shellship

Likes # 0

I have MSPub 2002 as part of Office XP Professional. Windows XP, 3Gb Ram. Had no problem until today when I tried to open copy of a colleague's publication and got the dreaded message "Microsoft Publisher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". It opens OK on his (much smaller) PC. Finished and saved a new publication I was working on but when I tried to open it got the same message, quelle houreur, . I can open all other numerous publications without problem but not these two. Both will open on his PC. Tried to open on my wife's machine but no joy. Any ideas out there please?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try right click and select Open With and choose MS Publisher

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Thanks but same response. Just can't work out why.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try the Microsoft Fix It from here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Scroll down to find Fix it For Me

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps an obvious question but are the files that you are trying to open created in the same version of Publisher as yours?

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Northumbria Am trying, thanks.

Woolwell Same version - 2002- on all 3 computers.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Northumbria61 Didn't Fix It for Me - sorry. Modified registry as suggested - no good. Looked elsewhere on MS help site but no matching problem. Just concerned that this may happen again when I create a new publication. Had thought about uninstalling and reinstalling Publisher but it can't be anything wrong with the software if all other files can open OK.

Where do I go from here?

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Ms does offer a solution, here. You may have missed this one when searching the website.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Bapou Many thanks, but bin there, dun that without result.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Here we go again. Tearing hair out. Uninstalled Publisher then reinstalled. Magic, all fine.

Tried again this evening as I had a new publication to create on the basis of a previous one and back to original error.

Bapou and Northumbria61. Have tried solution in MS Support by renaming in the registry but no joy.

Anyone out there with any other ideas, please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...