We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shared file not showing in Vista

Beth
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm setting up a presentation in Powerpoint 2010. I'm using an XP desktop because that's where the photographs I need are stored. I'm trying to share the file with a Vista Home Premium laptop. I've been through all the setup options recommended by the MS helpline but I still can't find the file in the Vista public folder. A shared printer works without problems so the PCs are communicating. I've had several goes but I can't work out where I'm going wrong.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista laptop is file sharing and public folder sharing set to on?

Like this post
Beth

Likes # 0

Yes, both are set to on.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Briefly turn off the firewall on the Vista laptop and now try to access the public folder.

Like this post
Beth

Likes # 0

I gave that a go but the file still isn't showing.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just to check is it just that file? Or you cannot get access to the public folder?

Like this post
Beth

Likes # 0

It isn't just this file. I've tried before but wasn't too fussed when it didn't work. I need it to work this time, though. The desktop 'HOMEPC' is not showing on the network list on the laptop. I'm clueless but I tried to get that to work yesterday. It did but then I lost access to the internet and ended up having to do a system restore.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm surprised that the printer is working with the problems that you have seeing the homepc. I assume that you have set up a wireless network and it has a common name. XP uses MSHOME and Vista Workgroup as default. I suggest that you run through the wireless network wizard again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps the quick way out is a memory stick.

Like this post
Beth

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I finally got there. Your last post got me thinking and, after more experimenting, I found a 'hotfix' on the MS website.

It was good to hear from you. Thanks.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...