We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup problems

kalstras

Likes # 0

My computer didnt start the other day Its an HP Pavilion mediacentre 7775a.uk and is running Vista home. I ran system recovery and tried to find a date that it previously worked on, but it did not fix it. I ran a few checks from the esc/f8/f10 etc commands and my comp started i once it got going (took forever) i asked it to do a scandisk upon next startup and that took 4hours but also did not fix any problem. My OS is preinstalled and I would hate to lose everything just to do something that may be a simple fix. I have run backups and comprehensive Norton virus checks (yes i run norton 360 dont judge me lol) Now it seems I have a new drive "E:" and it has a question mark on it. Thats all for now, I can answer questions but i dont want to ramble on too much. thank you in advance, Kal

Like this post
kalstras

Likes # 0

Also this appeared in the "My Computer" folder (it shows as full with 0 bytes)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc32/kalstras/strangedrive.jpg

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - click on "Disk Management" - Then right click on the local disk (E) (It should show empty - 0GB) and delete partition.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Before you try deleting the Drive do full checks that nothing is on the drive, and that it was not hidden before

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

If you right click the drive letter then click Properties it should tell you the size of the partitionb

Like this post
kalstras

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, looking into it.

Northumbria, that resulted in no extra drive... mystery

woodchip, drive not located and i ran a full in depth scan disk yesterday, unsure what to do next.

Further to earlier, sometmes my comp loads up the HP bluescreen and freezes, and other times it gets past that to a black screen and moveable curser but nothing further, then i restart and its normal.

I've done a startup repair and even tried to restore to an earlier time but there were only recent times... might try that again, but it seems me restore points are few and only recent for some reason :(

Speak soon, thanks again, Kal

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

**Then i restart and its normal. Run **msconfig - boot menu- check to see there's only your default OS listed there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers