We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which is best PC/CPU for all round family use.

frostysnowman

Likes # 0

Hi, could anybody advise me please as to which Pc for general family use would be the best value/performer for the money. I have looked at an Acer M3400 Desktop Tower which comes with an AMD Athlon II triple core X3 running at 2.7 Ghz and 3GB DDR3 Ram. This also has an ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card with 256MB memory. I have also looked at an Acer M1930 Desktop. This comes with an Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz.and 4GB DDR3 Ram. Both PCs are the same price, but the M1930 does not come with an operating system. Any advice on which is the best to choose would be appreciated.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

If you can tell us your budget and whether this includes a monitor or not, I'm sure forum members will be able to comment on the above and suggest alternatives.

Like this post
domaina

Likes # 0

I'd like to say something about the roaming sims, provided by our mobile roaming provider, who sells travel sims and mobiler roaming sim cards. All my colleagues know, that when I'm travelling, I'm using [url=http://www.roamingsims.com/]Cellular roaming[/url] and available on another nubmer, which is povided by a [url=http://www.roamingsims.com/]Mobile roaming[/url] operator. I use mobile roaming when I'm abroad to make calls and tranfer data. Data roaming is another very important feature. I'm using [url=http://www.roamingsims.com/data-roaming.php]data roaming[/url] sims on my iPad to have internet in roaming. Also, using a [url=http://www.roamingsims.com/]travel sim[/url] makes it easier to reduce Mobile Roaming Charges on Cellular roaming.

Like this post
frostysnowman

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a base unit(no monitor), for about £300.00. Any opinion on the base units I have mentioned above would be appreciated. Thanks again for any advice.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Can you provide links to the PC's you have mentioned as the only Acer M3400 is from Argos and nearly £100 over your stated budget, this one: M3400 and the acer M1930, this one :M1930 which as you said needs an OS. Are these your PC's?

Like this post
frostysnowman

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. The Argos PC is this one M3400 priced at £299.99. The link you give for the second from ebuyer is correct. Any further advice appreciated.

Like this post
frostysnowman

Likes # 0

Can anybody also advise me which is the better processor, an Intel i3-550 3.2 Ghz processor or an Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz processor. Thanks again for any advice.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

The core i3-2100 is from the newer Sandybridge range of processors. It has an improved built in graphics chip and therefore, unless into gaming, will provide decent graphics for most things you'll do. It does however use system memory for the graphics, so you will need a decent amount of RAM at least 3 or 4 Gb.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

There is very little to choose from in terms of performance so I would probably choose the one with the operating system already installed will save you a lot of faffing about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia