We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop - what's the best security road to follow?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

One of my older sisters got a laptop (acer aspire - featured on this website), and also got connected to the internet BT broadband), this week. I will be visiting her this week.She's got windows 7.Would it be wise to use the security packages that are on it, or should I help her with the free ones that are available.I will recommend this website to my sister, of course. Thanks HB.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Almost certainly your sister's new machine will be preloaded with a trial version of either Norton or McAfee anti-virus software.

It's obviously up to her whether she decides to continue with (and pay for)one of these after the trial period - both are excellent products - or whether she decides to opt for the free version of another product. Other forum users may mention the free version of AVG, which is very popular, and rightly so. It provides basic protection against computer viruses without all the bells and whistles associated with its (and others') paid for versions.

In the end it's a matter of personal choice and depth of pocket - free software like AVG will keep you safe from viruses, but that's all.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks for that FE.I will show her your advice on her laptop and take it from there.I am using AVG free version on this computer, and seems to be VG.I will help her with other safety measures.She is a novice to the internet and computers, in general.I will take my laptop round to her house to show her what I have got in place, regarding security online.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If she does not mind spending a few Bob.Emisoft Anti Malware and AVG Anti-Virus both for £22 from Here.

http://store.v3.co.uk/

Also download Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster and that is all you need.

Remember if she Banks with Barclays I believe you still get Kaspersky fo free with them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman - I will put your suggestions to my big sister.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do