We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netbook cannot connect to wireless internet

peterleemaxwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

My wife's netbook has stopped connecting to the internet. She say it just happened without her doing anything wrong. Looking at it with my limited knowledge it states A network cable is unplugged. When I go to network Connections the local Area Connection has a red cross on it. I have right clicked but the 'repair' item is greyed out. Any help appreciated.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe she has switched it off on the netbook.

There is usually a switch for turning wireless on or certain keys to press Fn with F1 or something like that.

Does it show other network connections and not hers.

oops sorry I was assuming it was connected wirelessly if connected by Ethernet switch the modem off for 1 minute then switch it back on and leave for 1 minute before using.See if that helps.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Your title talks of no wireless connection. The fact the message says 'network cable unplugged' is irrelevant, as that refers to a wired option. If you come back with the make and operating system, more advice could be forthcoming.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK) and check that, in addition to the Local Area Connection, there is an entry for a Wireless Network Connection and that it isn't shown as "Disabled".

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks to buteman and mgmcc your help has been appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features