We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Modem Problem - Can't Get Rid Of Dial Up

Legslip

Likes # 0

I have replaced a pals Speedtouch modem with a Netgear Wireless router supplied by Virgin. He can now connect straight to the net via Int Explorer without any prompts but when he tries to check Email, he still gets a Dial Up Modem window that asks him to connect. How can we get rid of this and have his Email prog. (Windows Mail) connect and check automatically? Running Vista!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try Internet Options.Connections and make sure never dial a connection is dotted and apply is pressed.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman. Checked Connections and although the Never Dial Up button is chosen the whole of the 'Choose Settings' section is greyed out so I can't change anything there if I wanted to. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

While in there click on Lan Settings and tick automatically Detect settings.

Use a proxy server underneath should be unticked as it is sometimes used by Trojans and Virus's.

To get it to run at start up I think you have to go to all programs and drag w/Mail to start up and drop it in there But just tried and it would not work. So I will probably have to remember how it is done and get back to you,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok as you are using Vista this should work.

Go to start.

Go to all programs.

Open the program folder

And click and hold the exe. File and drag it to your startup program folder.

Now it will load automatically when you are starting up windows XP or Vista.

The only problem now is that you’ll see an open program each time you startup you system and to me that’s pretty annoying.

Just follow the next tips to get it out of the way.

Go to start.

Go to all programs.

Open the startup folder.

Right click on the program that you like to minimize.

And select properties.

Here you’ll see a run option; select minimized and click OK and your done.

I can vouch for when it opens being a nuisance and the bottom part of that to run it minimized seems to be a good idea,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just wondered if when you opened connections in internet options whether there was anything typed in the big box.I don't think there should be anything in that box if you do not use dial Up.

But to be safe wait and see what others think.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Appreciate your help Buteman. Funny thing is that in Win Mail - Tools - Account- Properties, there are five tabs. I can open them all except the connection tab which when clicked says 'not responding and I have to shut Mail down and restart.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if I use the same.Windows Live mail but no tools on that mind you using W/7 so there may be a difference.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Buteman. No nothing in big box.

**Go to start. Go to all programs. Open the program folder And click and hold the exe. File and drag it to your startup program folder.** Can you kindly explain a little more please? Dont quite follow.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Having changed from a USB ADSL Modem to a Modem/Router, so that internet access is now via the Local Area Network, any software associated with the previous Speedtouch modem should be uninstalled. Otherwise, Windows will continue to try connecting to the internet unnecessarily.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Guys. Thanks for input. Just found that updates wewre switched off! No updates installed for Vista. Doing all updates and will check then. Will also run Revo Uninstaller. Will reort back on Tuesday

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...