We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Having deleted one of the user Profiles, I seemed to be on the mend then it all froze again. Very frustrating.

I have uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled but the problem still appears present.

I have found that by starting Firefox before I initiate the internet connection through my router it tends to function better. Possibly a router problem? If so how do I check it out?

In two separate conversations with people separated by several hundred miles, I was told they also have experienced this type of freezing during connection and have needed to Restart their PCs to clear the problem. Both, with no prompting from me, said they believed it had something to do with work BT were doing to 'phone lines/systems. Has anyone else heard of such an effect being present?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

^ Anyone???

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that we're stuck or at least I am. You seem to have tried everything. I suppose if it is waiting to update due to BT work then it might freeze but I doubt it. Have you flushed the dns?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Have you flushed the dns?"

Yes, several times.

I just logged on again with Firefox, it did two updates to the Add-ons and froze during loading. I think it is something on the PC; either within the OS or perhaps some other software conflicting. I shall try a repair tomorrow unless a better idea comes along.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

And then as I posted the above IE went into 'Not Responding' mode!! Annoying, confusing ...... or what.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Having progressed this problem in a new thread I shall close this down.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'