We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have reinstalled the other 2 memory sticks even though I know one is faulty. I would have installed only the good one but the PC recognises this configuration as a 'memory failure' and will not boot. The PC runs a little better like this and I have ordered replacement memory from Crucial - it should be here soon.

lotvic & Woolwell

You are correct for the individual usage, I was quoting the Commit Charge value which I understand as the total memory in use; am I correct?.

In terms of individual usage, Firefox appears to be a bit of a hog at 163,964K and the System follows a 150,000K, everything else is way below with AVG, for example, at around 8,250K.

Snrub

Have been that route with nothing found or resolved. Thanks anyway.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have noticed that Firefox 7 is using a lot of memory (at 225,000k +) but I think it is mainly on this site. I have high memory readings with IE9 too with this site. I need to do some more comparisons and I am thinking of creating a thread about this site's memory usage if I am right.

I think that it be best not to tinker any more until the new memory arrives as, hopefully, this could sort the problem out,

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wonder if this will help with Firefox Firefox memory use

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Well I have installed the new memory and carried out a quick MemTest run which showed no errors at all so there should be no problem there.

I have installed the RAMBack tool you linked to but can find no 'button' for it. Have you found one?

When I ran Firefox it froze again and would not close using Task Manager or any other facility. I had to Restart the PC to clear it.

I have noticed that in Task Manager there is only a single entry in Processes when it freezes, but there are two in Applications. I find this strange but am uncertain if it is connected to the problem.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Should also have mentioned, that reading the memory usage article for Firefox it indicates that 'normal' usage is 100 - 150 so I'm just above the top of that.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do other browsers/programs work ok or is just Firefox now?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

IE has entered a 'Not Responding' state but can be closed and restarted. I have also experienced my internet connection to refuse to disconnect even though there is no activity in or out. But it is generally Firefox.

If I could save all my Add-ons, passwords, sites and so forth I would completely remove and reinstall Firefox, but I'm not certain it would help to do this anyway as, like now, it is working. I feel certain there is a simple remedy but have no idea what it is or how to find it. You mentioned a complete XP re-installation a while back, but I'm unsure if that would resolve the problem either. There seems to be either a conflict of some sort or there is something broken, but where and by what - again I have no idea.

I ran Housecall (online scanner) in case my own AV was missing anything but nothing was found.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

An articles like this don't help a great deal either!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have found this article about Firefox not responding. It mentions the Profile folder and identifies it will have a .default suffix.

I have found the location and see I have two .default folders. Given that I am the sole user, could this be part of the problem or is it perhaps still down to some form of Registry corruption?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Having read an interesting article on problems affecting Firefox, I did a check of Plugin updates necessary and found FlashPlayer needed updating. It froze (Not Responding) during the update/installation process and again could not be shut down using Task Manager.

There really seems to be a problem somewhere.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...