We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Probably best to start a new thread in consumer watch regarding new system.

Wish I had an excuse for a new pc!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Good idea. I think the potential for any cost effective solution has been well milked! Even so, it's a bit sad to leave XP!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

JD - I felt like you, but having had a W7 machine for 3 mths, no way I'd go back!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

When the PC is running their is always a small CPU usage, even when idle, if it is showing zero, then it could be the processor itself is at fault. Try the following:

Press CTRL- ALT- DELETE together to bring up the Task Manager.

Check the Performance to check the Performance settings (PF)(on idle should run about 3%) and the Networking. You should be the only user, also check applications to see if any other programs are running in the background.

I realise you are are competent with your computer knowledge, however sometimes it is the simple things that we forget, that trip us up.

Terry

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Terry

All is fine in that department. Performance (online with browser, OE, Task Manager and the usual background running) is generally no higher than 4% with the odd blip above.

The problem is that I can be using, say, Firefox for an hour or more and for no apparent reason it will stop responding permanently, ca't be shut down using Task Manager or any other means. This has happened with Word, OE, Malwarebytes and a couple of others as well. In all cases I can minimise to the Task Bar but not expand again. It is not possible to run an extra 'copy' of Firefox either as I get a message that it is running and to close it. The only way of closing any frozen program of this nature is to Restart the PC. Often, in the case of Firefox' it will open to the pages it froze at.

At other times the PC runs as it should.

I find it all very strange and can see no commonality to help diagnose the cause of the problem.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I may be getting somewhere.

Although the initial MemTest check showed nothing that I hadn't seen in the PC from new, I decided to test each module separately. Whether it was me disturbing one of them or not I'm unsure, but one failed the test with some 109 faults indicated; the other 3 passed with no problems indicated.

As a result I booted up with only half the usual memory to find the freezing (of Firefox in particular) to still occur. As I keep backups of my Registry (made with ERUNT) I went back 12 months and loaded a saved copy - the freezing was still apparent.

I then reverted to my current Registry (saved today) and went back to Firefox V3.6.20. So far (everything crossed) it runs properly. I shall need to run for a few days before I shall be confident enough to believe the problem is resolved.

Does anyone know of any software conflicts with Firefox and anything else, or if damaged RAM can result in Registry damage? Perhaps one of the 'techies' can help or even suggest other items which may either improve stability or check for it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

No. Firefox froze with only the good RAM as well.

Could this be caused by too little RAM in the system?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry if this has been covered before. You have 2gb of RAM installed but only 1gb in use - why?

How much memory is being used by your anti-virus?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wondered about that (on page 2) and I thought it was measured in kilobytes, see info chart on Taskmanager http://pcwizkid.wordpress.com/2008/07/18/windows-task-manage/

johndrew says: "I have 2GB RAM installed, but at any time Task Manager shows well less than 1GB in use; like now I have 845MB in use."

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

1. unplug every external connector and re-plug firmly paying particular attention to mouse and main power into rear of computer connections, try computer.

2. run a malware check in safe mode, reboot, try computer.

3. run Event Viewer if fault persists to see if there are any clues to fault.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK