We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

A thought has occurred to me overnight. Is it possible for, say, some RAM to be affected by heat during usage and become unstable thus causing this problem?

I should add that I bit the bullet and ran CHKDSK which found no fault.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

If its an hp touchscreen you are using join the club. I have had this intermittent fault for a while and nowe it is in hospital for the second time.13 months old (still in warranty)

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

bugle

It's a conventional desktop PC with mouse and keyboard wired. Your experience may be of help though.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

^ Any more suggestions, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Full test of hard drive and re-install of Windows seem to be the only options left.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Ouch!!

I have carried out a full CHKDSK on HDDs with no reports of problems; sfc /scannow didn't look at the CD either.

Going back to an earlier post of yours, I read up on MemTest and found it may show errors as a result of timings. I have always (since almost new) had an error show up for memory (when using MemTest) and now wonder if possibly this could all be something to do with this? I should add that other than for a replacement CMOS battery I have not been into BIOS and have changed nothing.

Any thoughts?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Could be memory.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wonder if you have psu problems

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Well if it is memory it is fairly inexpensive to replace; similarly for PSU. I think either may cause this and since I'm pretty certain it's not malware related then hardware must be the cause as it all works fine until one (or sometimes more) programs freeze.

However, given the PC is 6 years old and runs XP Pro, it may be time to cut my losses and think about a new desktop unit. I would need W7 Pro (to run my XP software) with a decent bit of speed for home video. Other than that it would be reliability and price. Any suggestions as to a good, reasonably priced supplier? So many are going out of business these days.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

^ Yes, No?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks