We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"only <1GB of RAM in use - 2GB installed"

can you explain further what you mean by that

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back buteman.

Yes, both date and time are stable.

My information on the "0%" wasn't very clear - I was referring to Malwarebytes usage, it should have been much higher when running. System idle is around 97% with nothing else running.

Tried sfc /scannow it didn't seem to find a problem and doesn't appear to have changed anything.

I update Windows manually and have done so for ages. I leave the updates facility on 'notify me ..' only, it downloads nothing without my action.

I checked the DNS Client and it is set to 'Automatic'. Though given the freezing occurs on or offline I doubt it has anything to do with this.

There is nothing else I can think of to do or check - I guess you are at about the same point? I really don't want to get into a full reinstall with all that it involves.

All a bit strange really.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you do a memory test?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

lotvic

I have 2GB RAM installed, but at any time Task Manager shows well less than 1GB in use; like now I have 845MB in use.

Woolwell

Not as yet. But given the random manner of the problem (it just froze Word and Firefox again) is it likely? I can go for some considerable time with no problem and then get it on random programs with every thing else fully functional.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

From all of your other posts I'm beginning to suspect hardware. Temps and fans ok?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think it may be hardware but there is no clear indication as to what.

As I mentioned I use Everest Home to keep an eye on temperatures and fans and all appears normal - unless the sensors are incorrect.

I ran MemTest last evening for a couple of hours and all appeared as I would have expected there.

Perhaps I'll have the case apart today and remove/refit connections, boards, Ram and check for anything untoward.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe the %temp% folder could do with emptying and the harddrive needs defragging.

Start | Run | %temp% | press OK and have a look to see how full it is

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The Temp folder contains 16820KB the vast majority of which is the TWAIN.LOG (16372KB) which I understand is related to my printer and scanner (two separate Epson units) and is needed by them.

The size of the Temp folder doesn't seem overly large to me, what do you think?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Agree doesn't seem much in there but still can be safely emptied as no program relies on temporary files on a permanent basis. If that is all you have in there you must be already in the habit of emptying it or using a program like Ccleaner.

Did you look at the defrag and see if it recommends that it needs doing?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Yes, I use Ccleaner fairly regularly - probably weekly. I also run Advanced System Care which has a defragmenter incorporated, as a result the fragmetation of the drive is quite low.

I also pulled the PC apart. Removed and refitted, RAM, graphics cards, power connectors and anything else I could find. Checked all fans for freedom and tried to find any dust but I only cleaned it about 6 months ago and its still quite clean.

When I booted it and tried to get online, Firefox refused to load, but after a reboot it came back.

I have scanned with AVG, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes again - nothing found. I also did a HijackThis scan and used the online checker - again clear. As a result I doubt its any malware.

It has to be something that has happened in the past 10 days, either update software conflict or PC hardware glitch but I have no idea where to look.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote