We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs randomly freezing

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Something I have not seen in these Forums or experienced.

In the past three days I have had various programs freeze (Not Responding) for no apparent reason. They include Firefox, Outlook Express and Malwarebytes; this latter during an update, the others during normal use.

The only updates I have done recently are those to update my AV and anti-malware, Microsoft monthly updates and Firefox to 3.6.22.

I have carried out full scans for infections with nothing being found by AVG, Sptbot S&D, Spyware Terminator and Malwarebytes. Additionally the usual MS Removal Tool scan which was carried out during the recent update process showed nothing.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to the cause or has anyone else experience this problem.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Firefox is version 6.0.2 now so maybe think of updating that.

Check device manager to see if any drivers needing updated.

If an older computer check the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.

You could try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard it should tell you that the dns cache has been cleared if so reboot and see if there is any difference.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Did you update to the latest version of AVG 2012 just wondering if that could be the problem.

3 Anti-malware programs maybe remove one.

Maybe out of disk space or memory low.

Have you tried chkdsk or would it be unwise if the system keeps freezing.

Like this post
Willfixit

Likes # 0

Hi could be a memory problem look for memtest in google you can then boot up your pc from the disk once created to test your memory.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back.

I avoided FF 6.0.2 as many of the Add-on I use are not compatible with it.

I have checked drivers and they are all fine.

The PC is 'clean' I vacuum it once a year in the spring. I also use Everest Home for checking temperatures/fans etc. and they are all fine.

Will try flushing, it could possibly be that - I'll let you know.

AVG is V 9 - I couldn't get 2011 to install and think it likely 2012 will be the same :-))

I have had the same anti-malware for 5+ years so feel it unlikely that it may be this. Only one is active - Spyware Terminator - the others are used for scanning.

I have 106GB free space and only <1GB of RAM in use - 2GB installed.

HDD is relatively new and I am wary of running CHKDSK at the moment although it is only programs that freeze - I can (generally) use the remainder of the PC including other software.

I should add the only other thing I have found is a single entry in the Event Viewer (Applications) for database corruption in 'ESENT' - not sure what that is, am investigating.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

'ESENT error 1032' appears to exist because I have Automaic Updates selected to 'Notify' only - so not that!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe run the Fix it on this in case it is a corrupt folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Maybe turn your Automatic updates off and see if it runs any better that way.

I always have it turned off and it still downloaded an update for Windows Live Essentials last week without me telling it to.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I went back to Firefox V3.6.21 and used the ipconfig /flushdns command. For the past few hours things have functioned as they used to; hopefully one or the other actions has resolved the problem (touches wood quickly).

I'll leave this open for a further 48 hours or so in case things are currently hidden and arise later. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As an aside, I tried Fix it some while ago and was far from impressed. I found that using a bit of logic, retracing my steps and doing a bit of Googling to be more effective.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

All very odd.

I attempted a quick scan using Malwarebytes. The scan ran for 1 min. 24 secs and then the software (indicated in Task Manager) stopped responding. CPU usage was 0% with plenty of RAM left and nothing else was running. Everything else on the PC appeared to function as advertised.

I restarted the PC and ran the scan again; it completed with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

^ No?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just checking.

I have seen no similar reports but have no idea of the cause unless it is CMOS battery - but my clock is fine.

Did you also check the date.

Under processes in Task manager system idle should be showing about 97% of the CPU and that is normal.Not sure what the 0% is.

If using W/7 maybe try sfc /scannow in command prompt.

If using XP you would have to have the XP disc handy in case it asks for it.

Maybe turn Windows updates off and update them manually the 2nd Tuesday of every month.

Go to Services and make sure DNS Client is set to automatic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...