We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spam email – possible virus?

AndrewAfresh

Likes # 0

A friend, using my guest account, clicked on a link in an email which downloaded a zip file. The email purported to come from a job agency but I’ve looked at it and I think it’s dodgy. Inside the zip was a file called something like ‘APPLICATIONFORM.EXE’ which he clicked on. He asked me to look into why it didn’t open as a Word document. I scanned the file with AVG and Malwarebytes – both said it’s clean. Is there a way to see what this file contains/does or what if anything has happened to my PC? Thank you for any help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The general rule is not to open anything which has the file extension exe when you do not know where it has come from or you are uncertain what it is about. These are programs and when run can introduce nasties into your system. Although given a clean bill of health so far I strongly suggest that you delete it and do not try to find out what it contains. Application forms should have doc or pdf file extensions or something similar.

Like this post
AndrewAfresh

Likes # 0

Is there a way i can prevent guest accounts from running EXEs?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is it a guest account or an account with the guest's name? Which OS? Standard guest accounts should not be able to install programs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

These will give you more info (2nd link gives examples of the emails and more technical info of what to expect might happen)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1508326

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewThreatOutbreakAlert.x?alertId=17596

"The messages attempt to convince users to download a .zip attachment that supposedly contains an application form. In reality, the .zip archive contains an .exe file that, when executed, attempts to infect the system with malicious code. "

Like this post
AndrewAfresh

Likes # 0

I'm using XP. The account is called guest1. Can I reverse whatever the virus has done to my pc? Thank you

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

You might try running your two anti Malware programs in Safe Mode. Using safe mode by-passes most of the Windows drivers and will find most nasties in those circumsatances.

Spybot (free version) is another which could be installed and run in Safe Mode as well as the ones you have.

After the event ...... this is a good example of the value of a disk imaging system like Acronis. One whiff of something nasty, and you can overwrite the infected system with "something you made earlier"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED