We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Charging an iPad

Angel

Likes # 0

I have just bought an iPad, but I cannot understand how to charge the battery. I have a Dock connector to USB cable and 10watt USB power adaptor. This has two prongs to plug into the power source, but I have never seen anything that it could be plugged into. It also has a USB outlet. It more or less fits into a shaver socket, but obviously that wouldn't work as the USB socket on the other side would presumably have to plug into my laptop. Help!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

An ipad can only be charged through the adaptor it will not charge when connected to pc or laptop. You connect the usb end of the cable supplied into the side of the power socket adaptor. Are you sure that you haven't got an American two pin plug?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The iPad adapter should consist of a lead with a USB connector at one end, and a special (wider) iPad connector at the other. The USB connector fits into a USB port in the white 3-pin mains plug that should have been supplied with the iPad.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

My apologies - I had multiple screens open, and I see you posted a similar before me.

Like this post
Angel

Likes # 0

My thanks to both of you for your response to charging my iPad. There is no 3-pin plug with the iPad, but I have a 3-pin plug which has two pins for a shaver which the cube-like adaptor will fit. I think this will work - I usually it for charging a toothbrush.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

No, that will not work. The three pin plug which is supplied is a special one into which fits a USB adapter. If these were not supplied when you bought the iPad go back to the store and complain. They are an integral part of the iPad when you buy it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you have been sold an IPad for the USA market. UK ones should have come with a 3 pin adaptor. Actually a 2 to 3 pin plug adaptor may work but I go with rawprawn and suggest you return it.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

An ipad can only be charged through the adaptor it will not charge when connected to pc or laptop

Not totally true.

My iPad charges perfectly well from the USB on my iMac. Most PC's and laptops simply do not have sufficient power at the USB ports to charge an iPad.

Some, even though it says "Not Charging, will trickle charge. Many more up to date desktops PC's will have the required power at USB and will charge.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen