We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Make a server out of an old PC

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all i have an old desktop lying around its a P4 Windows XP Pro 500gig hard drive and 2gig of ram, my son inlaw has a small business and would like to know could it be used as a server left on back at the office to be accessed by himself and emplyees as needed. If so would he need to add anything to it, and what would be needed to make it secure? Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have no knowledge myself but plenty info here: Server

Like this post  
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Thanks gengiscant i will go through them and see what can be done, the (server) as such will not be needed to do any hard work it is needed mainly for storage and access when at home or out on site for drawings emails etc by his fabricators and himself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good