We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can i do a fresh install with self made recovery dvd??

ringo83

Likes # 0

Hi, i want to upgrade my hard drive, the only thing is i have made a recovery cd by using the packard bell master dvd creator. Does anybody know if i can use this for a fresh install on a new hard drive or is it just for recovery/restore purposes only. The os is windows xp home media centre edition 2005? any advice would be apprieciated. Thanks.

Like this post
ringo83

Likes # 0

I ment a recovery DVD. not cd. Soz.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You should be able to do it. Make sure you have the windows key at hand in case it won't verify. Check the COA sticker on the PC before you start.

Like this post
ringo83

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. Il try it anyway thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I think you'd do better to use the existing HDD makers cloning tool. This will enable you to transfer everything from the existing one to the new one. Check the make then check their website. All you need to do is add the new one as a slave, clone the old to new then replace the old for new (making it the master). This is assuming IDE HDD. If you need more advice, come back with the make and model of existing drive.

Like this post
ringo83

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your reply, the reason im changing the hard drive is because im getting rid of my computer and want to sell it but not with all my personal details on the drive so i dont really want to clone the drive if you get me?

I put a new drive in and tried the master dvd i created but it wouldnt do it, I think it may have something to do with it being oem software, maybe it detects the change of hardware?

any help please.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Easiest thing then is to borrow an XP CD or buy one for a tenner or so from ebay. As long as you have the original COA sticker, and the CD is the same version of XP as the original, you should be OK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert