We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Updates- Do we need them.

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was asked the other day about updating the microsoft software, which I do when it is asked for, is it really necessary as with a Firewall and Anti-virus most problems should be stopped.

Do you download and install all Microsoft updates or do you pick the ones you think are necessary?

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its up to you about installing them, I do them Manual so I choose the ones I want. They can cause Problems on a PC or Laptop after they are loaded. But using the Internet without AV is just asking for it

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I have NEVER updated any OS in 15 years ie, W98SE, XP, or W7, on the basis that if it is working well, don' try to fix it. NEVER had a virus, don't use Antivirus SW. Only go to good web sites, dont open email attachments."

There speaks someone who doesn't understand how this all works. Updating your operating system isn't just about protecting yourself, it's about helping to keep us all protected. People who don't update with security fixes are not only asking for trouble, they're helping to facilitate the exploitation of vulnerabilities.

Not running any AV software means that your computer is more vulnerable to being exploited by Trojans - something that you may not even be aware of. Your machine may also become part of a botnet, and you would probably be completely unaware that anything was happening. Refusing to run AV software is just plain silly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features