We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Multiple photos

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm just realising the huge amount of duplicate photos stored in various programs on my computer - Windows Media Player, Real Player, Picasa to name but a few! They seem to have just up-loaded all my photos automatically. They must be taking up a lot of space - and slowing things down generally. My main photo store in in "My Pictures" with a back-up copy in a separate hard drive.

Can I safely delete all these other copies of my photos, keeping the programs of course, for future use, and still leave the "My Pictures" folder intact?

Can I also prevent these programs from up-loading photos until I choose otherwise?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You will have to be careful as some programs only store a location to the photo not the actual image and you can end up without any pictures.

You could try a duplicate finder to find any copies.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Are you sure they are duplicates or just thumbnails linking to My pictures?

You will probably find that all these duplicate photos are in fact just thumbnails that link to the original in 'My Pictures' the ones in Picasa will certainly be.

There is an option in Picasa to delete from just Picasa or to delete from your hardrive, so be careful.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Are they duplicate photos or are these programs just creating short cuts to the photos?

The easiest solution would be to back up all your photos to a separate partition or HD before attempting to delete the duplicates this will prevent any possible loss.

Like this post  
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks folks! I didn't realise the potential pit-falls in just deleting these "duplicate" photos (if that's what they are!).

I'm glad I asked the questions in my post - and even more to have received your advice and warnings!

Thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...