We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dvices not working in USB ports although memory sticks are?

Purple Sue

Likes # 0

I have an Advent laptop, bought in Feb 2009. The USB ports used to work fine - with camera, GPS, i-pod. However, some time ago the laptop stopped recognising external devices, although is fine with memory sticks, my external memory device and a mini sd adapter.

Previous questions along this line are very old; is there anything I can try before I trot along to pc world?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

A few more details please:

OS - Vista, XP, or have you upgraded to Win7?

Do you use a USB hub? and if so is it powered?

Finally, and please forgive the blindingly obvious, have you tried the sticks in exactly the same USB port as the other peripherals?

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Hi sorry had to make tea etc!

I am on Vista, and I have not upgraded to 7.

There are three USB ports, I have tried devices - which work on my pc - in all the ports to no avail, but the memory sticks are fine. most frustrating!

I have looked at the 'device manager', which appears to list 6 'family USB universal host controller's, 2 enhanced host controllers, 8 'root hub's and a USb card reader.

the devices used to work, then just appear to have decided not to.

Any clearer??!!

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

It is an Advent 5611. have just found the manual on line so will peruse that, although not hopeful!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the start search box type device manager and click it in the list that shows. In the view tab select show hidden devices. Look for error icons. On these devices with errors right click (especially the universal serial bus controllers), then select 'disable'. You will have to expand these devices to make a thorough check. Once disabled reboot and see if your devices work. If so then you can safely remove the legacy usb drivers showing error.

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

..do I right click each USB in the device manager window? under properties they all seem to say 'this device is working properly'...?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't disable any usb controllers if showing working properly, you might lose your keyboard. Only disable devices with an error icon.

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

no error icons showing.

No what??!! :-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at USBDeview

I haven't used it so you'll need to study a bit. It will remove legacy USB drivers. After you remove the legacy drivers then remember to reboot.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just ran the program but I have no legacy USB drivers showing. Would like some feedback if you don't mind. Many thanks.

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Hi Rdave - I have downloaded too,and run the USBDevice...but I do not even know what a 'legacy' device is. I can see some things there in the list (devices known to me, such as my phone etc), but don't know what to do about it. Sorry I am a bit hopeless, probably should have posted in ab beginners.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen