We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband speeds

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

I had been using a standard Belkin, and then a D-Link, wireless ADSL router but because I had problems with connections breaking up I decided to invest in a new ADSL Router. This is a Belkin N+ wireless router. I was getting 3.5mb speed from the first two (in line with that projected by TalkTalk) but with the new router I am getting only 1.8mb. In checking in InSSIDer I notice that I had two channels, 11 & 7, and I went into the Belkin site to see if this could be amended. I can change by going manual but it still picks up a reserve channel. Hernce it is always showing the two channels being used in InSSIDer. I am assuming the reason the speed has virtually halved - 1.8mb against 3.5mb - is because of this two channel situation and would appreciate someone confirming my thoughts or adding others please. I have 3 computers in my home network and the other two show the same speed readings.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The first thing I'd suggest you check is the speed you're getting with a wired ethernet connection between router and computer. This will at least determine whether it is actually a wireless problem.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your response mgmcc and apologies for delay in replying. I have tried the wired set up and I get the same result - 1.786mb.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

That would appear to rule out wireless issues and channel numbers. It might be worth getting in touch with Belkin's tech support people. It is many years since I had to contact them, but at the time I did find them very helpful and knowledgeable.

As my broadband is Virgin's Cable service, I cannot advise on ADSL issues.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks again - I'll let you know, in due course, how I get on.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Still trying to sort this one out but it looks like, as suggested by mgmcc, that it is the Belkin Router. I have been in touch with their technical people by way of e-mail support and they are extremely helpful. Have downloaded two different firmwares but problem still not resolved although speed has increased now to approx 2100mb (still far short of the 3600mb I was getting previously) and I now have just the one SSID as opposed to two. I am still in communication with the Belkin support people.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes