We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2 PC's - swapping HD's ?

pipfan

Likes # 0

I have 2 identical mini desktop PC's (Fujitsu's). One has a working Hard Drive but the fans are noisy, the other has a problem with the HD but is nice and quiet.

I can't change the fans around so what I wanted to know was - if I simply swap the HD's around, will the one that works work as before in the other PC? Will it 'know' it sits in another machine and refuse to work?

Any help and advice very much appreciated, thanks

Pip

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Will it 'know' it sits in another machine and refuse to work?"

Yes, Windows will know that it's installed in a different machine but, as they have identical hardware, you might get away with it. Windows could boot OK and make the necessary driver/registry changes. Where you will probably then have a problem is with Product Activation because, with the complete change of hardware, this will trigger the need to Activate Windows again and this you may be unable to do.

Before doing anything, I'd strongly advise fully backing up your existing installation with something like Acronis True Image, so you don't end up with a hard disk that won't run in either PC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As mgmcc's post. I think the OEM installation will be tied to the Bios information and won't allow activation, even though both PCs are identical.

Having said that, I've installed numerous new hard drives on PCs where the hdd's have failed and used recovery discs to reinstall to factory settings. All activate OK. Best to make a clone before giving it a go.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

The key word here is "identical." If that is the case then yes it will work fine but as said you may have to reactivate as the hardware keys used by Windows may be slightly different. The thing that normally stops a switched hard disk from booting is the diffent hard disk controller but if the chipsets are identical then go ahead and do it, you have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is a blue screen with a Stop 0x7b error. If thats the case just put it back as was.

Oh and you probably can change the fans, probably just needs a good clean out of accumulated dust and fluff.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you have problems with activation, they can normally be solved by phoning Microsoft and explaining what you've done.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...