We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent momentary freezing on brand new PC

Likes # 0

Hello folks I have just purchased a new Chillblast Delta with the usual Windows 7 OS to replace an elderly XP machine. I was having problems from the beginning with the mouse freezing momentarily. At first I assumed this was just a faulty mouse, but realised that if I'm watching a clip on YouTube (even if the clip has fully downloaded) the picture and sound are briefly freezing exactly when the mouse is also momentarily inactive. So it would seem the whole system is briefly freezing up. It lasts for less than a second but happens repeatedly. I have also had big problems getting a stable wireless internet connection - connection gets lost very easily. There were no problems with previous XP machine in same location. Maybe this is related also? Thanks for any comments.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There could be a number of reasons for the intermittent problems, so I would suggest due to the newness of the computer that you contact the retailer for advice.

Just a few questions in the meantime:

Is the mouse new, wireless, wired, and was this supplied with the computer?.

Have you installed 'extra' software, that might not be compatible?.

Loose components, moved during transit?.

What happens when you do a reboot. Is the computer stable then freezes later?.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would still suggest that you contact the supplier for advice, because if it is a warranty claim in the making, then you might have problems due to the delay of reporting the events.

Just one final question. Was the problem there before or after you installed MS Office?.

Regarding 'briefly' freezing with YouTube, I find this happens on my computers on occasions. I just put that down to YouTube and the way it acts at times!.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Change your user name from your email address,as you will cop for a lot more spam.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

1. unplug every connector and re-plug firmly paying particular attention to mouse and main power into rear of computer connections, try computer.

2. run malware check in safe mode, reboot, try computer.

3. run Event Viewer if fault persists to see if there are any clues to fault.

4. see if there is driver update for your video card from manufacturers website, if so install and re-test

5. failing this follow spuds advice and return computer because the list of problems could be endless including for example, a dry joint on a circuit board which would be difficult to diagnose.

Like this post
Careful

Likes # 0

(musicbassman, now under new name)

Thanks for your advice Snrub

Well, this is strange - by simply moving the PC into a neighbouring room it's now running perfectly - so I suspect there must have been a poor plug connection (although I had already checked this) or some sort of electrical interference at its previous location?

I now have the problem of trying to find if there's a house wiring gremlin, if it is that, but at least I think I can rule out a problem with the PC.

Shows that sometimes you need to check the PC location first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Or by moving it you have jogged an internal connection and it is now good but may still be loose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home