We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HOw do I repair a Pc with a blinking cursor in the top left corner

trish1997

Likes # 0

HOw do I repair a Pc with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

I took out the hard drive and was ready to ditch the pc when I realised I had a spare hard drive that would fit it the laptop. I placed the HD drive in the laptop and when I did a system repair on the laptop and I used 3 recovery discs on it and it said it would repair it to the state it was in when I bought the laptop. I was willing to accept this and went ahead ( after going into bios and choosing to boot from CD) I can go into F2 and enter bios but now I am left with a blinking cursor top left on a blank screen, slightly backlit. What else can I do to this dratted machine to make it work PLEASE??? It is a hewlard packard easy note tj68

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try this - when you get into your BIOS you will see default settings - save and exit. Reboot.

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

Have tried the default settting but it still wont pass the blinking cursor stage . Anything else i can try please

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi Trish ... so are you sure the hard drive is good ? if you have run the restore discs ,did they run fully ? are you sure the hard drive was the first fault ?

the restore disks were meant to be run on the hard drive that was in the laptop when bought ,so might not work with another drive . can you borrow a windows disk and see if that will work ??? Dave

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

HI Dave. I first had a problem with a blank screen after a blue screen with lots of lines across it, no response from any key. When trying to boot it again, the hard drive light would flicker and then go out and the screen would stay black with a very slight whirring noise within the machine. So I thought the pc was kapoot I took out the hard drive and used it in a caddy expecting to use it as additional backup. It didnt work in the caddy so used the hd that was in the original caddy and that at least got me to the bios screen. Changed the boot up order to DVD first to use the recovery discs but have now changed back. I also changed the boot up to f12 but again have changed that back. The 3 recovery discs all worked so I rebooted but came up with this cursor blinking, so then tried the windows 7 64bit recovery disc but still left with this problem. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi Trish ... once again ,the recovery disk is only meant to work with the original drive ,this includes the win 7 recovery disk. they access files on the original hard drive to do the restore. if you have not formatted the original, you could try the restore disks with that . the only other thing you can do, would be a full install from a win 7 disk. Dave

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I have heard before that the Recovery disc set is tied to the HDD. Since HDD replacement is common, this would seem to be a bad idea if a manufacturer did that.

I thought it was more common for them to be tied to the motherboard 'tattoo' of the machine that made them.

Recovery discs should be run with nothing else plugged into the machine (except kbd/mouse). Make sure the caddy and any flash drives are unplugged.

Check again when rebooting and that there is no optical disk in the CD/DVD drive.

The W7 Recovery disk should have checked your Master Boot Record (MBR) when you used it after the 3 DVDs. Maybe it didn't or didn't work. If that is wrong can also lead to boot problems.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD has a Rebuild MBR operation you could try.

You can also have a look at the spare and original HDDs and see if the partitions look alright and if the recovery discs have created a C:\ partition and copied all the files over.

Might be worth deleting all its partitions and trying again or a full format on the 'new' spare HDD and trying again. Don't delete anything on the original or format it it. It may yet be needed.

Factory Recovery can become confused if partitions are different from the original.

Also DVDs may have aged, or just have read a file wrong. Although I would expect an error message.

Make another set of discs on another computer using Imgburn Always best to have a spare set anyway.

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

I will have to see if I can borrow a windows cd, they dont come with the laptop anymore do they? I have just bought a new laptop and no cd with that either. Just thought I could revive the other one.

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

I have just taken out the hd from the packard bell and put it into a caddy and all the windows start up and a copy of windows has been put onto that hd from the faulty one so the hd is ok I would have thought. Can I create a system image from my new laptop for use in the old laptop. also can I back up the new one with the hd and would it still be useable? They both run win7 64bit.

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

I have just taken out the hd from the packard bell and put it into a caddy and all the windows start up and a copy of windows has been put onto that hd from the faulty one so the hd is ok I would have thought. Can I create a system image from my new laptop for use in the old laptop. also can I back up the new one with the hd and would it still be useable? They both run win7 64bit.

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi Trish.... so now you have 2 ???? wish i had your money ...lol ok ...so the hd from the new one works in a caddy and that was setup from the old hard drive...????? is that on the old pc or the new one ? getting confusing now. put the new hd in the old pc ...does it work ? put the old hd in the new pc does it work ?

Dave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia