We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Portable Harddrive Trouble

ste1403

Likes # 0

Hi, i have buffalo 250gb hd ministation thats suddenly stopped being recognised by my xbox360 and laptop. When the ministation is connected to laptop it isnt allocated a letter in my computer and doesnt appear there at all, i know the laptop knows its connected though because the remove hardware safely icon appears on the system tray and i can also see it under disk drives in device management. Im stumpped as to how i get it to work.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

What is your OS?

The best place to start to diagnose and fix this is using your laptop. Look at the Windows won't recognize USB hard drive guide and see if this resolves that part of the problem. I have a feeling the file system on the external drive is corrupt and as a result cannot be recognised/allocated a letter.

Like this post
ste1403

Likes # 0

Windows 7, Is there anyway to recover data on the hd if it is corrupt??

Like this post
ste1403

Likes # 0

ok ive gone through the guide and it is corrupt and i am currently trying data recovery bu im getting an error message

error no.1117 drv:130 LBA:0 Blocks:1

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

What data recovery program are you using, my preferred choice is RECUVER

http://www.piriform.com/recuva, to get the best results recover the disk to another disk (or partition) otherwise you will overwrite the files you are trying to recover.

Terry

Like this post
ste1403

Likes # 0

Can I recover them to my laptop harddrive with that??

Like this post
ste1403

Likes # 0

Can't remember what it's called it's the one they recommend o. The troubleshoot page

Like this post
ste1403

Likes # 0

oh and its also saying that it has over 2000gb of storage! its only a 250gb lol. that recuver software doesnt even find the drive so trying another one

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If the data is recoverable, then the suggestion made by Terry Brown, above, will allow you to put it to your laptop HDD. Be aware it may be corrupt and at best may only be recoverable in part.

Please provide a link for "The troubleshoot page" as I'm not sure where you mean.

The reason for the corrupt storage figure is directly linked to the fact the data for the drive is corrupt.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data