We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why does CHKDSK run on every bootup?

SB23
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm running XP SP3, and for the past few days the pc, at times, has been very unresponsive. The system freezes for no reason, everything seems to be in order via Windows Task Manager, and the cpu usage doesn't go above 20%. The thing that is a little concerning to me though, is that whenever it does freeze, and I manage to do a reboot, the system does a CHKDSK. I've checked to see if the boxes on the error checking tab are ticked, they're not, so does anyone know whats going on, or is this a warning that the HD is having problems?

Thanks

Steve

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Could be your graphics needing updated.Is the date and time and Display Ok.

When nothing running system idle process should be showing about 96% under the CPU if anything else using a lot of the CPU.What is it.

if an older computer check the air vents for dust and fluff if any inside will also need cleaning.

Maybe go to chkdsk and set it to run at start up tick both boxes before rebooting.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Buy a new larger hard drive clone your existing drive to it before it fails totally

ChkDsk running on boot up usually indicates drive problems and since hard drives are cheaper than chips it is not worth taking any chances on losing data

Cheers HC

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Its just done another check when turning it on, but I manually ran a file system errors and a bad sectors check and both came back ok, could it really be hinting that a hd failure is about to happen?

Steve

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You say it becomes unresponsive, do you have to switch off via the start button if so that is the reason for the CHKDSK on reboot.

I would fist give it a good clean out for dust especially the fins of the heat sink and if that did not work then the new hard drive root.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Strawballs, I had to do a forced shutdown on Sunday, but now just turning on normally it goes straight to a CHKDSK scan, then boots normally.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Just an update

I thought today that I would try the Seagate set of tools for checking Hd's, as I had forgotten about them. My drive passes all tests apart from the "Smart" test. It suggests backing up etc, etc, but after a quick google some say that it may or may not be that serious. One person even says that his drive failed this test, and is still working fine now, years later. Mine is the old ATA type, are they even still around, I looked for Seagate but couldn't find any.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, still available

examples

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It may be worth doing the full CHKDSK, which has 5 phases. Some advice here:

chkdsk Scroll to 'How to run chkdsk from My Computer, and use the third option in Para 4

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Have you tried the kellys korner registry tweak to disable CHKDSK running at boot up? Save the REG File to your desktop. Then double-click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Scroll down to No 82 and click on "disable"

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Thanks

But, I've already run the error checking tools and the chkdsk came back with a problem, but as I noticed there was an issue, the screen went back to the booting screen, and it has been running chkdsk on booting ever since, but now doesn't find anything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...