We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG Pro Problem

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend of mine had AVG 7.Pro installed when he bought his computer and renewed the subscription. His computer is now 4 years old and AVG was again due for renewal. He didn't want to pay so I suggested he uninstalled AVG, and installed Avast Free and Zone Alarm. Unfortunateley he installed Avast before uninstalling AVG and when he tried to uninstall AVG it all went belly up. I went to have a look and found I could neither uinstall nor re install. I tried to download a removal tool but AVG deleted it as avirus and I could not find a way of stopping AVG running as parts of it were not working. Eventually after trying all I knew I ran "Regedit" and deleted all I could find. I have successfully stopped AVG and installed Avast and Zone Alarm. All seems to be working, but can anyone suggest a tool which would now clean the last remnants out. I have run CCleaner. Thanks RP

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I tried to download a removal tool but AVG deleted it as avirus..."

Sounds like you didn't download the official AVG one - HERE'S where you'll find what you're looking for. Because the PC in question is four years old you'll almost certainly need to use the 32-bit remover at the top of the list.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks Secret-Squirrel, but that is the one I tried. Each time the "Remnants" of AVG deleted the download as a virus. (I tried 3 times)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Revo Uninstaller might help?. A free download from Major Geeks or Filehippo.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Don't worry RP - here's plan B:

Boot the computer into Windows's "Safe Mode with Networking" and try again. It's highly unlikely that there'll be anything running in that mode that'll interfere with you downloading and running that AVG Removal Tool.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel It's Vista and I can't remember if Safe mode with networking is available in Vista (I did try uninstall in safe mode without success)but I will try it. Anyway he lives about 1 hour away from me and he is going to bring his box over so I have time to mess about

spuds AVG Pro no longer shows in Add or Remove programs,so I'm not sure Revo will be able to find it. I will leave this for the time being until he brings the computer to me and I can have another go. Thanks for your replies, I will start this thread again when I have the computer.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Safe Mode with Networking is available in all Windows versions from XP onwards.

Good luck.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel many thanks. RP

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Best bet would be to download AVG again and not run it then get Revo Uninstaller to remove it.

Pity a new version of AVG is out now and it is supposed to be very good,

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman

"Best bet would be to download AVG again and not run it then get Revo Uninstaller to remove it."

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If you're suggesting the OP installs AVG then removes it then that won't help for two reasons. The current partially installed AVG is version 7 which is several years old and is so different that it's a completely different program from the current version. Also, the PC has now Avast so AVG will probably see this and refuse to install. I think the best bet is to try to get the AVG Removal Tool to run.

rawprawn, if you don't have any luck with that removal tool then have a look HERE as there's a download link to a different remover. Because it's Vista, remember that you'll need to download it then right-click on the file and choose "Run as Administrator" so it's able to clean the system properly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Yes you are probably right I did not realise it was so old until I googled and found reports about it from 2004.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......