We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buy new printer or buy cartridges?

cassini1

Likes # 0

I have an HP Laserjet 3600 Printer. Had it for three years now with no problem. Excellent printer albeit a bit big. I am about to run dry with the current set of cartridges. Question...... Do I simply buy a new set of four cartridges at 140 quid each or should I now buy a new printer for around 560 quid and which will come complete? Advice welcomed please!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

New cartridges £140 x 4 = £560

New complete printer with 1 year manufacturers guarantee = £560

The cartridges that come with new printer will fit in old printer I presume?

If so then 'no contest' you get a free printer if you buy a new one. Very useful if one breaks down.

Or even if they don't fit I would go for the new printer as t'other has had 3 years of use and could start malfunctioning at any time.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

Just be aware that some printers come new with cartridges that are not of the same capacity as standard cartridges so you may only get half the number of pages out of the first set. That is one of the ways of keeping he price of the printer down.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

I have the networkable & duplex version of this printer, for the past years I've been using remanufactured toners from UKDVDR click here without any problem at a fraction of the price.

Black toner Q6470A click here

Blue toner click here

Yellow toner click here

Pink toner click here

There are similar products in Amazon including this original set click here, I think the HP CLJ 3600 is discontinued now(it did come with a full set of toners when new), and the newer model I'm not sure if it'll come with a full set or not ,at least I know the entry level colour laser printer comes with toners of up to 750 pages capacity only.

Like this post
cassini1

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all the responses. I checked one of the cartridges and found that one small piece of plastic had come off the side (the one with the spring). The guy at HP told me that this could have been the reason for the lack of print quality (which I had put down to the low level of ink). I replaced it with a new one and now everything is fine again. Next time round I have decided to have the cartridges topped up (as per advice from above). If and when the printer actually does "die" on me I will have had five years plus of use, which I suppose is not bad in these days of built-in obsolescence.

Like this post
cherry vl

Likes # 0

Buy a new cartridge

Like this post
kdt

Likes # 0

have you tried generic cartridges which are much cheaper?

Like this post
cassini1

Likes # 0

Thought about it, but as even refills are 70/75 each the probable value/cost ratio is still marginal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'