We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop/Hard drive security

gav223

Likes # 0

Hi.

I am going abroad for a week tomorrow and will be taking me laptop and hard drive with me.

I need to do some work whilst I'm away, so that is why I am taking both.

I do have some important information on both items which I would not want someone having if they got stolen.

Is there a way to password protect both items, so that if they did get stolen they would never be able to get access.

Thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can set up an encrypted area on HDD or a flash stick using Truecrypt. With a decent password, only secret services with supercomputers would have a chance of cracking it.

Windows and BIOS passwords stop casual access but easily defeated by computer literati.

Make a backup or image backup of HDD before you go and leave at home.

Setup a Dropbox (max 2GB) or similar free cloud account and keep copies of the files you want to work on in there. (you can access from any PC over the internet.

Note that some thieves will steal your laptop from between your legs, beside you or under seat and you won't even notice. (esp. Spain)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oh and don't forget any new passwords. Write them down and keep in wallet.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley.

I have a macbook laptop 1 portable hard drive and 1 desktop hard drive.

I am going to put all information from the macbook and the desktop HD on the portable one and then use everything I need from there.

If my laptop gets stolen then I have no issues.

Do you still advise what you stated in the last post.

Thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Yes I think so. Not quite sure what you are getting at.

Truecrypt and Dropbox available for Mac OSx.

If nothing confidential on Mac you don't need to set up encryption on it. But if the info is on the portable drive, that could get nicked too. So consider encrypting part of the portable drive.

Dropbox is just a backup. Say you lost all your gear in transit. You can still work from inernet cafes, someones office, home etc.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Thanks very much robinofloxley.

I'm looking at it now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made