We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless/wired access point - confused

Infoh

Likes # 0

Hi all

Bit confused about what it is I need..

Basically I have my router and modem up stairs in my office however I want a wired connection downstairs but I don't want to run a cable down stairs

Is there a device that I would plug into the wall that could connect to my wifi and give me an ethernet connection from that? Ive seen some devices but they don't explain it too well... They don't seem to have any way of inputting my wifi password...

Please help lol

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I'm not sure why, if you want a wired ethernet connection downstairs, WiFi comes into the discussion.

Normally, with a computer remote from the router, connection would be wireless directly from the computer to the router without any cables, provided there was a good enough signal.

However, if you do want a wired ethernet connection without running a cable all the way, I'd suggest using Powerline adapters to link the router and computer via the electric wiring. You would plug one adapter into a socket beside the router and connect to it by ethernet cable and a second adapter beside the computer and run an ethernet to the computer.

Examples of Powerline adapters

Like this post
Infoh

Likes # 0

Ok so I would need 2 like this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1315863491&sr=8-1

Plug one into wall next to router and connect to router by Ethernet then plug other one next to computer and connect to computer via Ethernet?

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Yes that's correct. One thing to be aware of is that these adapters tend not to like being plugged into extension leads, they should be plugged directly into the wall socket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...