We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have lost Games-Vista

rancyroo

Likes # 0

My wife plays Solitaire a lot. Don`t know how but have lost Solitaire and all the other Games from my computer. The folders are still there but they are empty. Have tried finding downloads to replace them without success.They are never the original replacements for the software I have lost. Computer is Packard Bell ixtreme 3720 with Vista Home Premium. I desperately need saving from extreme domestic hassle. Does anyone know how I can regain the original folder contents. Other versions I have downloaded are different and not satisfactory. Anybody any ideas? Many thanks.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Going into control panel / Add remove programs /Turn Windows features off or on / and Tick in the Games box and click on ok

The Games should then be back on

Like this post
rancyroo

Likes # 0

Sorry but doesn`t work. Folder still comes up as empty.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rancyroo maybe reboot and see if it works.

maybe check the recycle bin and see if they are in there.

or maybe a system restore to a date when they were working.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If she likes solitair - go to "PYSOLFC " free . http://pysolfc.sourceforge.net/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

From another forum.

Normally, to restore Windows features you would go to Start / Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features on and off / click on the + sign to the left of Games and check the Games box and choose the Games you want to have available by checking the appropriate boxes.

If you have already tried that and it did not work[usually you have to wait till it loads]maybe untick games wait till that loads and reboot and then go back and tick the games that you want to see. Once again wait till it loads and then try All programs and then games to see if it works.

If that fails you could try sfc /scannow in command prompt and see if that helps.

Like this post
rancyroo

Likes # 0

Computer is restarted twice a day so no joy there. Did a system restore following problem with Windows Mail and have a feeling I lost the games in that procedure somehow. Empty the recycle bin regularly so nothing in there. Will have a look at pysolfc tonight. Many thanks for comments so far.

Like this post
rancyroo

Likes # 0

Just seen your comments Buteman and will try tonight. Many thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To check whether Solitaire is installed then click on start and then in the search box type solitaire. This should bring up the solitaire program.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the Start Menu, under Accessories, right click on "Command Prompt" to "Run as administrator".

At the command prompt type

Start /wait ocsetup InboxGames

This will take several minutes to complete. Once the command is complete you will return to the command prompt. This command does not return a message.

You will need to manually reboot the system to complete this method.

The Games should now start correctly from the Start Menu Games section.

Like this post
rancyroo

Likes # 0

Pleased to say that I have found the Games. Still not there under Start Menu tree nor one branch of the C drive tree in"Computer". On another branch I tried Program files and there they were. Why they dont appear in all the other places I dont know. Thank you all for your efforts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'