We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Worthwhile updating drivers?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

As some people may know I have been having a few problems recently and I have 'found' - shall I say - programmes which go through your drivers to determine if you need an update. To say I have been disappointed is a bit of an understatement in that all of these are a bit of a con. They offer a 'free download' which I - stupidly/naively?, bit of both - took to mean the programme was free. It was, up to the point that it tells you that you need to update some of your drivers then to do so you have to pay. Being a cheapskate - as some would say - I have declined at that point. However the slightly worryingly consistency of these is that they seem to come up with the same drivers needing to be updated. so I would like - if possible - advice on two points: The first is: is it worth updating if the drivers that are 'out of date' are working OK? And the second point is: does anyone know of a programme which is not only a 'free download' but will also download and install the drivers for free as well? OR is it a case that to get this sort of efficiency you always have to pay? and if you do have to pay does anyone have any idea which would be the best one to use?

I know I am being contradictory here but isn't it worthwhile doing an annual check on your drivers?, or as I said above effectively, if it ain't broke don't fix it. What are your views on this.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have never paid to update drivers.

I normally update drivers only if I have a problem and usually that is a graphics card snag. Occasionally I have been alerted to a later graphics card driver and have installed it but then I read about what has been improved, what bugs have been fixed, etc. If I want a new driver I go to the manufacturer's site and download the correct driver and read their installation instructions carefully.

If I used a program I certainly would not pay for it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Only need to update if your having a problem, drivers are free its the service they are asking you to pay for so just go to the manufacturers site to download.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with Fruit Bat/\0/. Also windows sometimes prompts updates.If you want in Device Manager you can right click a device and hit the "update driver" key for each bit of hardware and(as I found) it tells you if you have the latest driver.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I firmly believe - If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

DriverMax is a good utility to backup all your drivers in one place though.

And I believe it does allow two free driver updates per day or something.

But I do concur with above. Don't update unless problems.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you do need to update a diver, the first stop should be the software site for the program

Terry

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Good morning,

Many thanks for all your replies. The consistency of the advice is extremely comforting, and have no worries - I know you won't - that I will follow it. I had forgotten - not surprisingly - that Device Manager will update any drivers and should, therefore, be anyone's first 'port of call'!! To be fair, as I said, their seemed to be a concenus that some of the drivers do need updating, but if Device Manager is happy, then so will I be.

Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to reply, I am very, very grateful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger